Not long ago, a young badger was running for her life. Other badgers were chasing her, as they fight violently at times, and this little one was desperate for a hiding spot. She crawled through an air vent on an old farmhouse and chose the front loading washing machine as a dark and quiet place to conceal herself. Only she did that job too well and no one realized she was inside when a load of laundry was tossed in on top of her until the load was complete.
Hydestile Resident Animals (visit their website here) in the UK is a wildlife refuge run by Graham and Lyn Cornick and a few volunteers. Though Graham and Lyn went into semi-retirement a few years back, they are always ready to help a new patient in an emergency.
This video shows Graham caring for the rescued badger who is safe and fully recovered (there is no upsetting footage). Graham is stunned that the young badger was able to survive the wash and credits her luck to the fact that the washer was set on an economy setting.
Though this rescue is unusual, small animals do frequently jump into washers and dryers and not every story ends this well. If you have a puppy, kitten or any other small animal in your home, please pay special attention to the following hazards:
4 High-Risk Household Areas for Animals
- Washers and dryers. Always check to see that your animals are accounted for before beginning a cycle. This goes especially for moms with toddlers who might think it’s a clever idea to put kitty in the dryer.
- Refrigerators: Yes, it’s true. Kittens are notorious for jumping into an open fridge undiscovered.
- Stove tops: If you have animals who can jump or climb, you must take great care in guarding your stove top. One suggestion is to put these small pets in a bedroom for a while during meal preparation time to prevent any tragedies that can occur in a split second when you turn to answer the phone or a knock at the door.
Sheds & garages: Too often small pets and wildlife can become trapped in these areas. It happens in an instant. The shed might be left open for a couple of hours while you’re raking or mowing the lawn, and without noticing your guest, you shut the door for the night. It could be days or weeks before you open the shed again and in that time the animal will go through a dreadful ordeal which he may not survive. It’s best to always shut the garage and shed door immediately behind you and do a quick inspection before you leave.